Attack the problem. Not the person.
We are living in a challenging time, filled with targets and time pressures. We usually achieve our desired results, but sometimes we lose sight of common goals and find ourselves opposing one another. As companies, organisations or even between different departments or individuals. It probably sounds familiar: attitudes and positions harden, partial interests predominate and the man gets played instead of the ball. Pretty soon, a trial might start, or be used as a threat.
During those times, there is the need for someone to help a project get back on its feet and run smoothly again. Someone with a pleasant personality, knowledge of the business, moral authority and understanding of the entire (supply) chain. Someone that is independent and comes up with a business solution from a neutral perspective that everybody can feel comfortable with. That is exactly what dev_ real estate envisages with Mediation.
Agree to disagree.
Why is mediation a perfect fit with the rest of Dev_ real estate services?
- We are an independent organisation that works for both owners and end users of real estate.
- We are both positive and critical in everything that we do.
- We are pre-eminently focussed on the best co-operation.
- We have an eye for interests rather than positions.
- With our knowledge and experience regarding building processes, we can help achieve a jointly supported solution through mediation.
- Dev_ real estate has broad experience with mediation. From helping big corporations with complicated decision-making processes to helping smaller municipalities that were resolute in their aim to reach an agreement.
Alignment is key.
How does the mediation process roughly proceed?
- Step 1: introduction and intake > individually or through a joint meeting with all involved parties.
- Step 2: establishing a mediation agreement > joint rules of conduct are agreed upon.
- Step 3: exploration phase > conflicts and disputes are explored with all involved parties, including shared interests, agreements, etc.
- Step 4: negotiations regarding impending (work) agreements both between and within parties.
- Step 5: completion: work arrangements are defined in a settlement agreement.
Duration of the entire process: 4 to 6 weeks. When necessary, co-operation from a lawyer can be sought after, for example when drafting the mediation agreement
Clearing the air.
Where is mediation applicable?
- Conflicts with or between costumers, clients or suppliers
- Disputes regarding land, construction or real estate related matters
- Conflicts with or between different municipalities, or between municipalities and residents.
- Internal conflicts between different departments, managers or employees.
- Dev_ real estate has a broad experience with complicated negotiations and complex decision-making processes.
It takes two to tango.
Mediation might be primarily known as a solution for settling divorces, but mediation also has numerous appealing advantages in a business context, being:
- Faster and more (cost) efficient than a legal trial.
- The (imminent) dispute is resolved together, behind closed doors, so no dirty clothes are washed in public, saving possible reputational damage.
- Most importantly: the (work) relationship between the involved parties, persons or departments is preserved.
- Because parties come to a joint solution – one that is not imposed by an external arbitrator, expert or judge – the solution is well-established and therefor sustainable.